Following up on the teams conversation, leadership is changing as well. From middle managers to others in organizations.
Q: How do you think the role of manager and leader has changed?
- Definitely more of counselor and mentor coming to the surface rather than a task assigner.
- We have relegated middle management to a place where they just “make sure stuff gets done” in the past but that is shifting
- This emergent leadership can be essential in individual and team care as well as engagement
- Sir Richard Branson – “Customers do not come first – employees come first. take care of your employees and they will take care of your customers.”
- I also think more of these folks are being asked to make hard decisions on who is furloughed or laid off
- They are becoming more part of the team than over the team
Q: What do you think is temporary and what will stay with us?
- I’m hoping that the idea of team care and engagement stay and become the number one priority of leaders
- And that being part of the team and serving teams will stay rather than being over teams
- I am afraid that that some of the transition away from “make sure stuff gets done” will reverse but we can help you with that!